Jul 25, 2010

Nine weeks old, and still a mama's boy

The nice lady (Diane) who still owns Kayden tells me that it's a good thing he is still with his mother. All of the kittens are still learning important life skills. This weekend's topic appears to have been "Tree Climbing 101". From her description, the crab-apple tree in their front yard became a "kitten tree" today. Kayden was, of course, bold and fearless. All of the kittens are playing hard and sleeping hard. What a great life!

From what Diane says, he is a tough fighter. I wonder what he'll do without the other kittens to play with. I'm sure he will feel very strange without them at first, but I'm hoping to distract him with all the toys I bought. With time, I think he will learn to entertain himself well.

Each time I see new photos of Kayden, I am amazed at how beautiful he is. He seems to change every few days at this stage. It appears that he's growing into his fur a bit more now, and the stripes on his legs are more pronounced. His face is so angelic, and I'm wondering if his greenish eyes will someday become yellow like his mother's.

As of about one hour ago, Kayden's cat tree is officially complete. The paint is still drying on the base, but it will be all set to go when we move upstairs in one week. We'll figure out the best place to put it up there, somewhat close to the sofa, where Sig and I spend all of our relaxation time, so that Kayden can lounge along with us.

The house on the cat tree was built with plenty of room to accommodate Kayden once he is full-grown. The structure stands close to six feet tall, with plenty of perches for him to pick form. The ramp will help him climb up while he is still too little to jump up. It also makes for a nice angles scratching post. A couple of the pillars are covered in thick sisal rope (a recommendation I found somewhere online), so there are lots of intriguing surfaces to scratch his claws on. Gee... I wish Sig would get home from work so he can finally see thing thing! He's going to be shocked at how tall it is!

1 comment:

  1. Awww, what an adorable kitty! And I'm so impressed with the beautiful cat tree! You could start a business making them for friends - they're awfully expensive at pet stores.

    ReplyDelete