Aug 6, 2010

Welcome Home, Baby Boy!

August 3rd was
a happy day!

Sig and I drove out to Courtenay on Tuesday to pick up Kayden, and there he was with his mother cat and siblings on the porch, happy to greet us again, and not a bit shy. They really are a lovely bunch of kitties, and I can tell that Kayden has gotten a perfect introduction to the world living there with his feline family and adoring human guardians!

We let him explore the carrier for a while, and settle into it himself before closing the door. Halfway into his stressful 25-minute car ride, Kayden began to settle down, then actually dozed off for a little while. When we arrived home, I opened the carrier door and let him walk out when he was ready. Then he took a big look around the apartment.


This big upstairs apartment is sure a lot of area to explore. Having lived here for only two days ourselves at the time, we still had some exploring to do ourselves. Kayden has been taking up most of my free time, so I still have some unpacking to do. He sleeps a lot, but when he's awake he is extremely active, chasing the variety of toys we got him, chasing his tail, and chasing us around as well! He didn't eat too much that first evening, but now that he's more adjusted, he has quite a large appetite. Sig suggested that we let him sleep in a box at the foot of our bed that first night, which lasted about 30 seconds before he invited himself up to the bed to lay between us and purr heavily. It was clear then that he needed the nighttime company for a while. He's a very well-rounded kitten - half "mighty hunter beast" and half "snuggle bunny, love muffin". Oh yeah... he knows he has it good. :)

He isn't very scared about noises – he tolerates the sound of cars pretty well after only a few days, considering he never used to hear them out in the countryside, and considering it was a car that took him away from his family. He will sit right next to the toilet when it flushes, and stand next to the shower and watch us while we shower. He doesn't even mind the sound of our electric toothbrushes! He sat on the edge of the tub while I bathed yesterday, very curious about the water and what I was doing in it.

A huge perk is that he is a PRO at using the litter box! Sig and I both love this about him. The house doesn't smell like litter at all, because Kayden is so good at covering everything up!

We let him join us in bed the next couple nights as well, but he keeps waking us up in the middle of the night to pounce on our feet, legs, arms, faces, hair... needless to say, he is now being kicked out into the hall halfway into the night. But we'll see. Maybe it's a phase he'll grow out of.

Anyway... I need to get back to him now, to catch a cat nap myself, but I just wanted to say how happy I am with this little bundle of joy. He is such a perfect kitten, and I can tell he is going to be a wonderful companion for years and years.





No comments:

Post a Comment